Contact us for any open vacancies & tenders
Vacancy: Additional Board Members x 3
ORION organisation NPC board are seeking to appoint three new board members and authorised the ORION’s CEO to advertise for 3 additional Board members with any of the following skill sets and expertise to add value to ORION organisation and to oversee the next phase of our work:
Board Member 1
Medical practitioner knowledge/background, or Medical background i.e., Psychiatric and/or Mental Health, or Social Service practitioner with management experience.
Board member will be responsible for oversight over the Departments Services and Auxiliary services portfolios.
Board Member 2
Marketing/Fundraising experience at management level, or Business management experience at management level, or Operational management experience
New Board members will be responsible for oversight over the Departments Marketing, fund raising and our business centre.
Board Member 3
Legal qualification and experience. Board members must add value to our corporate services legal and related matters portfolio.
The roles are unpaid voluntary positions.
Board members are expected to attend four board meetings per year, but also to participate in the life of the organisation between board meetings, advising the staff team and acting in an ambassadorial role for ORION.
Positions are advertised for a period of 3 years (term may be renewed).
About the Roles
We are seeking to recruit several boards members and expect that different candidates will bring a range of skills and experience to ORION, from the attributes listed.
- Commitment to the objectives of ORION.
- Willingness to act as an ambassador for ORION.
- Willingness to fulfil the duties and standards of conduct required of a board member of ORION
- Understanding of disability issues
- Experience of basic finance and fund accounting
- Fundraising (e.g., from individuals, partnerships with business and/or civil society organisations, etc.
- Policy influencing (analysis, formation and/or framing)
- Lobbying policymakers and/or business and/or representative groups
- Working for a think tank or similar
- Working for or with the following: managers and boards in all sectors & relevant structures e.g., remuneration committees, institutional investors, unions, NGOs
- Media and communications or PR, including social media
- Developing business models in organisations comparable to ORION’s
- Board level experience, ideally at an NPC or company of a similar size to ORION
Expertise & Knowledge
- Basic understanding of the Disability white paper
- Basic understanding of the NPC sector / law and regulation
- Environmental issues or environmental campaigning
- Ability to understand and interrogate financial reports
- Strategic planning skills
- Risk management skills
- Analytical skills
- Management / project management
- Ability to operate as part of a team
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and a covering letter, stating why you wish to be considered for the role to Mary-Ann Rhodes by email address: email@example.com
Your cover letter should show how you meet each of the relevant requirements in the person specifications.
Vacancy: Department Manager Services
Closing Date: Friday, 12 August 2022 @ 14:00
Orion Organisation NPC, an organisation serving people with disabilities for 40 years, is looking for a suitable qualified and competent person to Manage our Services Department, i.e. residential care units (incl. special care), both children and adult day care centres, provide social work services, collaborate with Western Cape Provincial governmental departments, providing strategic direction and drafting business plans for the Services department etc.
The profile of the preferred incumbent is as follows:
• Diploma / Degree in Social Work
• Experience in the social work field (minimum 5 years)
• Experience working with people with disabilities would be advantages
• Proven record of strong leadership & managerial experience would be advantages
• Computer literate (MS Office)
• Excellent report writing and communication skills
• Valid code 08 driver’s license
• Registered with SACSSP
• Drafting and managing of departmental budget would be advantages
• Police clearance
• Must be vaccinated against Covid 19
Competencies Knowledge of the following:
• Relevant legislation, policy and prescripts (norms and standards);
• Governmental relation and drafting of TPA’s proposals/business plans
• Compiling of quarterly reports
• Leading multi-disciplinary teams, assessment interviews etc.
• Supervision framework for Social Workers
• Knowledge and understanding of human behaviour and social systems as well as skills to intervene at the points where people interact with their environments in order to promote social well-being
• Social Work theory and interventions
• Information and Knowledge Management
• Protocol and professional ethics
• Social dynamics, work values and principles
• Developing and empowering others
• Skills to challenge structural sources of poverty, inequality, oppression, discrimination and exclusion
• The ability and competence to assist, develop, advocate for and empower individuals, families, groups, organisations, communities to enhance their social functioning and their problem-solving capabilities
• The ability to promote, restore, maintain, advocate for and enhance the functioning of individuals, families, groups and communities enabling them to accomplish tasks, prevent and alleviate distress and use resources effectively
• Proven computer literacy; Report writing skills; Self-Management skills; Good planning and organisational skills; Presentation and facilitation skills
• Client orientation and customer focus i.e. working with beneficiary parents/guardians
• Understanding and ability to provide social work services towards protecting people who are vulnerable, at risk and unable to protect themselves
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated, passionate and confident
• Highly organized and diligent
• Exceptional interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
CV’s to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org